Washington's mission is to create a partnership of students, staff, families and community members who are working to empower our students to meet the highest academic standards, to develop social and emotional maturity, and to acquire the skill to be lifelong learners and responsible citizens.
Fostering an inclusive community of learners, working together to achieve academic excellence.
Washington School was named for George Washington and opened as a two-room building in 1901. Before the first year ended, more room was needed. In 1905, a four-room brick addition was built, and then was later expanded to 16 rooms. As the school grew, it became necessary to build the four-room Nell Hoyt School at North 28th and Union Avenue, which was dedicated Feb. 20, 1959. Until 2014, Hoyt housed three kindergarten classrooms and one first-grade classroom. In addition, there was a separate gymnasium that is used for P.E. and music classes, and before- and after-school childcare. Washington housed second- through fifth-grade classes, as well as the library, multi-purpose, music, art, computer rooms and classrooms for special programs.
During the 2013-2014 school year, Washington School was completely remodeled. The students and staff were housed at "Camp Hunt" during the remodel. On October 10, 2014, the newly remodeled Washington Elementary School celebrated its "Grand Opening" to the applause of staff, students, alumni and the community.